USB storage devices are devices that allow saving various data and are characterized by being removable and being widely used by users are exposed to any failure and infection in the system, they can be configured on a computer and store files of various data per This is sensitive to corruption problems in a specific place.
To correct these bad sectors, formatting must be carried out so that any USB flash drive or pen drive that is protected against writing, viruses, among others, can be easily fixed.
How to format USB from CMD?
Once the importance of formatting storage devices is understood, we proceed to explain some of the methods to perform this procedure. Something that should be taken into account that when performing the formatting, all the content of the device is erased, so it is recommended to make a backup copy of all the information of interest such as the important files before the start of the format
The following are the steps that must be followed to perform the procedure of formatting USB from CMD in a Windows 10 operating system, this method, the time it takes depends on the USB device used as well as its capacity and the space occupied:
- For the first step you must type CMD in the search box.
- The window can be opened at the Command Prompt.
- Click the right mouse button to select Run as administrator.
- The command prompt window then opens.
- For the second step, it must be kept located in the command prompt window.
- Then DISKPART must be written.
- Then ENTER must be pressed.
- Now in the third step you must write LIST DISK.
- Proceed to press ENTER.
- According to the information on the list disk obtained, it should be verified which disk your USB flash drive is, it can be, for example, disk 2.
- As in the fourth step, you must write “SELECT DISK 2”.
- Now we proceed to press ENTER.
- In the fifth step, CLEAN is written.
- Then you have to wait a while to erase the disk completely.
- For the sixth step, CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY must be written.
- Then ENTER must be pressed.
- Step 7 should be done after diskpart has successfully created the specified partition.
- We proceed to write FORMAT FS = NTFS.
- Now ENTER is pressed.
- Then you have the possibility to choose another form of file system.
Choose another file system format
To choose another file system format, you must change the NTFS command to the command you want such as FAT32, EXFAT, among others.
- In the eighth step, we proceed to write ASSINGN.
- This in order to create a drive letter to the flash drive.
To finish, you just have to select FINISH and with this you have the desired result with the formatted USB device.
Generally, this method can be used in any type of case and with any operating system, but if you are not sure when to use this method, you can be guided by some messages when trying to format a USB flash drive or a hard disk:
- Windows could not complete the format.
- The format was not completed successfully.
- The raw drive cannot be fixed and formatted using disk management.
With these messages it is certain that the only way to solve the failure in the device and perform the formatting is through CMD.
Advantages of formatting USB from CMD
In the previous point, the steps to follow to format USB from CMD were explained, in most cases it is the most recommended method despite being one of the most complicated and can be somewhat confusing, however it is the most effective, below The advantages of using this method are explained:
- It is the most useful method
- You have some of the best formatting results
There are several cases in which only this method of the Diskpart command prompt can be used to format a USB flash drive.
Can format USB flash drive
- Provides greater security and certainty during the procedure
- Errors that can be found in using Diskpart
You may encounter glitches and errors when using Diskpart are as follows:
- The system cannot find the specific file
- The media is write-protected
- Data error, cyclic redundancy check
If you are interested in learning about measurement instruments in metrology, it is recommended to see the article on Metrology Measurement Instruments: Types and their function. Where the concepts and information that are useful to expand the knowledge of this subject are explained in a detailed way so that you can learn to use it in the correct way.
Format a USB drive using a tool
There are many ways to perform the formatting on the devices, as mentioned above, the one recommended to format USB from CMD, but you can also have the use of a tool that can facilitate the formatting, achieving the same objective and purpose of the Diskpart format. Below it is recommended to use the EaseUS Partition Master which is a free partition management software, the steps to follow with this tool are explained below:
- EaseUS Partition Master is started.
- Then you right-click on the partition of your external hard drive / USB / SD card that you want to format.
- Now choose the option “Format”.
- After a new partition label is assigned, file system either NTFS, FAT32, EXT2.
- Next, you click on “OK”.
- Then a warning window pops up.
- Click on “OK” to continue.
- Now you click on the “Execute 1 operation” button in the upper left corner to review the changes.
- Then you must click on “Apply” to start formatting your external hard drive / USB / SD card.
- Once finished, the formatting of the USB device is obtained.