You may have heard or not, but loft conversions in Enfield works need to comply with building rules and regulations. Now the questions arise what actually building regulations are? Mainly how they for the work for the loft conversion?
Government creates building regulations. You need to keep them in mind while designing, building or even altering the building. Remember that there is a difference between building regulations and planning permission. There is the possibility that for the loft conversion, you have to focus on both aspects.
If someone is telling you that for the loft conversion building regulations approval are not necessary, better you don’t listen to them. You need permission in order to make the space habitable.
Who Assess the Standards for Building Regulations Approval?
At that time, you get two options. You can choose a local authority inspector from the local council or directly take help from the government inspector. Moreover, you even get an option to provide a full plan or building notice only.
However, when you provide the full plan’s application, you have to give every detail even drawings. The building inspector sees everything in detail and then approve or reject it. Without a doubt, drawings are very complex, but it benefits the builder in many ways. They were able to understand everything properly and later manage things accordingly, too, without getting confused.
The building notice is an indication that you can begin the project without prior approval. But during the process, it is the responsibility of the builders to make sure the project stays within rules and regulations.
In Loft Conversion, What Building Regulations Are Assessed?
The things that are assessed by the inspector are as followed:
- Sound insulation: You may think it is not that much important, but it is. The inspector check assesses sound insulation between rooms. If you and neighbor wall is connected, here the rules are going to be applied too.
- Fire escape: It is a place that needs every type of security arrangements. So, the inspector checks whether the conversion has a fire-resistant door, fire protection and smoke alarm.
- Stair design safety: Stairs is one of the common things that every property has. People don’t think they can cause any damage, but they are quite dangerous. The inspector checks the structure of stairs that you design for the conversion. They also check whether the stairs will provide enough support to the ceiling and floor or not.
- Floors: It is rare that the old ceiling joists able to support the new structure, so it is essential to install the new ones. The inspector checks them whether they are perfect for providing support or not. A little mistake can cause a huge accident. So, the inspectors, while inspecting make no mistake here.
- Windows and doors: The inspector check the thermal heat loss, so it is essential to get energy-efficient doors and windows.
Many might think that all this is a waste of time and money, but in actual, it is not. Everything is don’t by the experts to ensure the safety of the people. Building something new is not an easy task. The process is complicated and tough. Also, a person is spending a lot of money on the changes. So, why not do something that is best. So, later you don’t have to spend a penny any time soon. Lastly, to get the best service of loft conversions, Loft Guru is the firm you can contact.