When you try and download any payroll update or open up any state form or paying scheduled liabilities, you’ll receive this error. “The file you specified can’t be opened.” So just confirm that it doesn’t currently get utilized by another program or read-the only file.”
Why This Error Occurs
The reason behind this error is also because QuickBooks has downloaded software or payroll updates and now it’s unable to install these updates as results of Windows user approvals or user control settings in windows view or windows 7/8.
- The Windows state was “The file you specified can’t be opened” and “The file exists”
- Mainly this error occurs if a file isn’t read correctly.
Important points before troubleshooting
Some advance tips to repair the above error:
- Click on ‘OK‘continuously till the error message gets updated 100%.
- Now close then again open QuickBooks.
- Confirm that the QuickBooks version is that the latest.
- Close QuickBooks software and restart your desktop.
- After restarting QB Desktop, right-click on QuickBooks and choose ‘Run as administrator.
If the error doesn’t get fixed then:
- Make use of the net through data cable once you retrieve the updates. Utilizing the WI-FI connection for the updates may cause unexpected results.
- Now open user account control settings
- Move to ‘Control panel‘
- If you utilize Windows 7 then, tap on the ‘Windows‘button then click on ‘control panel‘.
- If you’re using Windows 8 then press the ‘Start menu, and type to find ‘Control panel’. Now click on the control panel.
- If you’re accessing from Windows 10 then, select ‘Search icon‘ on the taskbar and type ‘Control Panel‘. After finding it taps on that to open it.
- Now after opening the instrument panel, on the search bar enter ‘Change User Account Control‘ settings.
- Now do either of the subsequent things:
- Shut down UAC: You’ll be able to move the slider to the “Never notify” then choose ‘OK‘. If asked then enter the password to produce confirmation. Now restart your device to ‘Allow‘ the changes.
- Activate UAC: You’ll be able to move the slider to decide on once you require to get notified and tap ‘OK‘. If you receive a prompt, type within the password or give confirmation.
How to Fix “the file you specified can’t be opened” errors?
Below we’ve mentioned few easy steps to troubleshoot the continued problem:
Step 1: Ensure QuickBooks is updated
Many QuickBooks users are unaware of the fact that the updates repeatedly become fixes to several QuickBooks glitches, ultimately enhancing the performance of the software. Thus, it’s often suggested to update your QuickBooks frequently and enjoy stable and secure QuickBooks performance.
Step 2: Switch to a different internet connection
At times wireless internet connection might create a problem. Therefore, switching to a wired internet connection could be a savior in such situations.
Step 3: Appropriate Windows permissions for QuickBooks
- To gain access to the files present within the QuickBooks desktop folder, it’s important to set up the Windows users.
Note: To repair the problem altogether, it’s recommended to right-click the QuickBooks icon, followed by selecting the Run as Administrator option. Just in case if it doesn’t work, the user can perform the subsequent steps.
- To start with, right-click the ‘QuickBooks Desktop icon‘, followed by selecting the ‘Properties option‘. Also, choose the ‘Security tab together with selecting ‘Edit‘.
- Within the next step, the user has required to tap on the ‘Add‘ option, followed by entering ‘Everyone‘.
- Once finished, the user has required to hit ‘OK, then select the ‘Full Control‘ option.
- Now, repeat Step 2 and 3 respectively, but confirm you enter ‘Users‘ in place of Everyone. Move ahead, by selecting ‘Apply‘.
- Lastly, hit ‘OK‘ and you’ve good to go.
Step 4: Altering the User Account Control Settings
Perform the task that you simply were doing earlier, but only after temporarily turning off the ‘User Account Control‘. If the error has removed, then this actually means the present security setting isn’t compatible with QuickBooks.
Step 5: Configuring the web and Firewall security settings
In certain cases, firewall and internet security settings block the access of the QuickBooks Desktop. Therefore, trying to configure the firewall and internet settings might add your favor.
Step 6: Run Reboot.bat
At times a restart may be an ideal solution when the QuickBooks Desktop processes get stuck. Thus, to grant it a clean start, you’ll run reboot.bat.
Step 7: Fixing QuickBooks Desktop
To check whether the folder and files of QuickBooks require some maintenance, running a QuickBooks repair could be helpful.
Step 8: Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop with the assistance of a clean install
To replace the old files with new ones, the QuickBooks users can prefer a clean install. This might work, as freshly installed software generally doesn’t bring in any such issue.
Carry out the above-stated methods and take a look at getting eliminate these payroll errors: “The QuickBooks file you specified can’t be opened” and “The file exists”.