QuickBooks Error 6177 arises when users try to open or access the company file. The error message is displayed on your screen as: “QuickBooks is attempting to open this Company file”. It says that QB is unable to follow the path for opening the company file. To fix this error easily, make sure that you have the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop. Further, you need to reboot your computer and check if the error is resolved.
In this article, we will enlighten the causes and various methods to solve “QuickBooks Error 6177”.
Reasons Behind QuickBooks Error 6177
One of the following reasons should justify the onset of QuickBooks Error 6177
- Virus or Malware Infections.
- The file path or the file itself may get corrupted.
- Deletion of QuickBooks related system support files by accident.
Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error 6177
Method 1: Transfer Company File to Hard Drive
- First of all, go to company file and then C: drive via server.
- Now, you need to open the company file using QuickBooks.
- Create a portable file and save it in the local C drive.
- Close the company file and restore the portable file by saving it to the server.
- After that choose your company file and access it from your server.
Method 2: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
You can also download and use QB File Doctor to fix “QuickBooks Error 6177”. This tool diagnoses and rectify mostly QB related issues.
Method 3: Manually Resolve Error 6177
- First of all, make sure that all QuickBooks related files are closed.
- Now you have to delete the automatically generated Network Descriptor (ND) file.
- After that, open the particular folder containing the company file and search for the file having.ND extension.
- Make a right-click on the ND file and choose Delete.
- Arrange QuickBooks Database Manager:
- Firstly, click on the Start menu and choose Programs.
- After that, go to QuickBooks and click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- For Windows 8 users, press the Windows key and search for QuickBooks Database Manager and click on it.
- Click the option of Add Folder.
- Now, click on the option to Scan.
- Once the scanning is done, Close the window.
- Next, follow these steps to check whether you have enough permissions to access the file:
- For sharing the files, you need to visit the Setup folder permissions webpage and ensure that the permissions are set accurately.
- If you want to set permission for QuickBooks, then clear all the options and just select QB.
- Now open the QuickBooks company file through the local path.
- Files opened on the hosting system can lead to Error 6177 therefore, you need to ensure that the company file is located on the network:
- Open My Computer and if you find your file in Network Devices or Network Locations then right-click on it and select Properties.
- After that, access company files via hard drive.
- Make another folder:
- Press Windows + E to open My Computer.
- Double-click on C drive and create a new folder.
- Access the new data folder and copy the company files in the created folder.
Configure the QuickBooks Database Manager
- Click on Start (Windows icon), choose QuickBooks from the Programs tab, and go to QuickBooks Database Manager.
- Click on Add folder option to find the company file and click Okay.
- Repeat the previous steps and then click the Scan button.
- Verify the company file access permission in Windows by going to “Set up Folder permissions” to share a file web page.
- If QuickBooks is installed, turn hosting off and back on. Then open the company file for which the error was shown, through the local path.