Melatonin is that hormone that controls our sleep patterns, and what exactly Melatonin is used for is unknown?
So, today I am going to tell you what Melatonin is Used for.
Melatonin helps you to fall asleep easily and makes your possibilities less to wake up in the night. It helps in dealing with problems in adults above 55 years or above. However, it is not suitable for all people as it might have side effects.
What is Melatonin Used for?
You should always follow your doctor’s prescription properly and be careful if you have been prescribed Melatonin.
Generally, a doctor prescribes 2mg tablets, and this helps in releasing Melatonin gradually into your body during the night. It’s very important to follow the instructions carefully as this might have side effects too, and therefore your doctor will only tell you to take melatonin 2 or 3 times a week and not every night.
Usually, you take Melatonin for just a few weeks; however, sometimes, it is prescribed for up to 13 weeks.
Side effects of Melatonin
Although significantly fewer people are prone to the side effects of Melatonin but some severe side effects are:
- Start feeling low or sad.
- Blurry vision or your eyes becoming more watery than usual.
- Feel faint or pass out.
- Start feeling confused or dizzy, or vertigo.
- Bleeding that does not stop, strange bruising or blood in the urine.
- Severe allergic reactions like:
- Skin rashes that may include itchy, red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin.
- Tightness in the chest or throat.
- Trouble in breathing.
- Your mouth, tongue, face, lips, or throat start swelling.
You should tell your doctor if you find out any such side effects in your body, and you should also be careful if you are consuming Melatonin along with any herbal remedies as this might cause more drowsiness.