A Green Card is a very coveted sesame all over the world. It is well known that immigrating to the United States is a real headache and places are difficult to obtain. However, this remains possible, and this by different means. Here is the basic information necessary to obtain this famous Green Card which serves as a pass for permanent residence in the USA.
WHAT IS THE GREEN CARD?
a Green Card is a permanent resident card. It, therefore, allows foreigners to live and work (and/or study) permanently in the United States, with official immigration status.
The holder of a Green Card has the same rights and duties as a US citizen, except the right to vote and serve on a jury. The Green Card is essential if you wish to become a US citizen.
- Possibility to apply for nationality after 5 years of Green Card (3 years in some cases).
- Help with applying for university scholarships.
- Help for applying for loans at preferential rates.
- Pay your taxes in the United States, which is essential to keep your Green Card.
- GET THE GREEN CARD
- IThere are several ways to get the Green Card. The first thing to do before you begin is to determine your eligibility as the eligibility criteria vary depending on the category of immigrant you are applying for. The main categories are immigration via family or via employment.
it is for parents, spouse, sibling, unmarried children under the age of 21 of a US citizen, you may be sponsored by that person. Form I-130 and if you want to travel alone or with family, then you must fill important form i-131 processing time should be followed.
This category includes several sub-categories (job offer from a US employer, investment if you are an entrepreneur, etc.). Form I-140.
If you are eligible, the procedures are different depending on your location, whether you are applying from within the United States or outside the United States.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
The steps to follow to apply for the Green Card vary according to individual circumstances. They are generally long and tedious, so it is better to arm yourself with courage and patience.
Here is the general application process for most applicants:
- The sponsor / sponsor must file an immigration application for the sponsored person. In some cases, you may be eligible to file it on your own.
- After USCIS approves the immigration application and if a visa is available in your category, you can either file a Green Card application with USCIS or a visa application with the US Department of State.
- An appointment will be organized to take your fingerprints, your photo and your signature.
- You will be required to complete an interview at USCIS and answer questions about your application.
- You receive the decision.
- KEEP YOUR GREEN CARD
- Once you have obtained your Green Card, you must follow certain instructions in order to keep it.
As stated above, you must declare your taxes in the United States and declare yourself as a resident. If you are leaving the United States for more than six months, you will still have to continue filing your taxes in the United States and keep the proofs, be sure to keep your address in the United States, a bank account, etc. Anything to prove that you want to keep your residency status.
In case of absence of more than a year , you’ll need a permit application for re-entry ( ” re-entry permit “) before leaving the US., So that immigration officials only think not that you have given up your residency status. This permit is valid for two years.
THE FAMOUS LOTTERY
Each year, a worldwide lottery called the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program (DV Program) is administered by the US government. Its goal is to create diverse immigration by targeting primarily countries with low numbers of permanent residence applications to the United States. These diversity visas are distributed among six geographic regions and no country can receive more than 7% of the available DVs in a year.
The DV Program issues up to 50,000 Green Cards and is open to most nationalities, with a few exceptions. It’s a computer-generated random selection, so you do n’t need to be in the United States to participate.
Be careful, however, this lottery takes place during a specific period of the year (October / November), and you cannot participate outside of this time.
If you are lucky enough to be selected for this lottery, you will get an Immigrant Visa Number available immediately, providing a faster path to obtaining the Green Card.
To be able to participate in the DV Program, you must:
Be from a country on the given country list (this may vary from year to year).
Hold a secondary school diploma or its equivalent (successful completion of twelve years of primary and secondary education), OR have two years of work experience in the last five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience.
How to participate?
When the quotas are open, you must first register for free on the official government website and fill out the online form (DS-5501). Follow all instructions carefully.
Once you have registered, a message will appear on the screen with your name along with your unique confirmation number. Keep it in a safe place since it is this number that will allow you to check the progress of your request in May of the following year, to know if you have been taken or not (“Entrant Status Check”) *