Evolution and development are essential to prolonging the life of almost all occupations, including language. All languages are constantly evolving in every dimension that comes to mind: pronunciation, word formation, sentence structure, vocabulary tools, areas of usage, etc. and Hindi is no exception. With digital chatting at the forefront, older people love to mock the constant slang expressions of their national language that come out of the youth, even if they themselves have always strayed far away from original Sanskrit-derived pure Hindi!
Let’s take a look at how the dialect that is an amalgamation of Sanskrit, Urdu, Persian, and Khari Boli has taken unprecedented turns over the years and molded itself to suit the needs of newer generations better.
- Due to the greater interaction of Asian and predominantly Hindi-speaking countries with the western media through modern technology, foreign languages like English have started to penetrate into Hindi with its speakers coming in contact with new populations and the sentence and word structures have taken new dimensions with this merger. Incomplete sentences have made the language as a whole, more compressed and streamlined.
- Most of what we learn of our mother tongue comes at an age when the exposure to spoken word knowledge is more than written text. The process of replicating language over time is imperfect and the basic foundation is often laid by daily speech interactions with our parents, relative, siblings, peers, and teachers. As a result, mispronunciations and speech changes eventually change the way we knock the word around in the written text, which has brought about new instances of word formation and vocabulary items to modern-day Hindi.
- A whole new dimension has been introduced with the advent of emoticons and GIFs. Common Hindi phrases like ‘Namaskar’, ‘Chalte hai’ or ‘Dhanyavad’ are not expressed with typed words anymore, instead, people prefer to use emoticons with folded hands and hand waving motion GIFs for engaging in more realistic conversations.
- The goal of optimization of a language, in India’s case – Hindi, to convey complex ideas with the minimal amount of ambiguity has led people to create words, memes, abbreviations and phrases that are being circulated around social media and messenger apps at a staggering rate. This trend has increased the efficiency and swiftness of business, marketing, and educational conversations.
- Hindi, as a language that has prevailed with newfound concepts of technology and new expressions, is being coined in popular tech circles and business spaces, where converting nouns into customer-loved verbs or ‘verbalizing’ product and company names is emerging as the favorite drift course.
Earlier, most of this digital presence was in the Latin (English) script because of the lack of Hindi typing keyboard and tools. This trend has turned over its head with the emergence of digital keyboard and messaging features like vernacular scripts and transliteration of written text into almost any language. Bharat Keyboard, whilst adapting its services to come toe-to-toe with these far-reaching developments in the way customers see and use modern Hindi, has kept the essence of our ancestral tongue alive and stoked in our hearts and has become a major force in introducing it as one of the primary technological dialects today!
Download Hindi Keyboard to experience the magical transformation on your humdrum chats!