Literally, cakes are sweetened, baked bread layered with flavored cream, served as a dessert. Culturally, cakes translate to gastronomic ecstasy. Everybody loves cakes. From a simple, modest tea cake to intricately layered mille-feuille, cakes are the perfect examples of culinary excellence irrespective of flavor or form.
When It Comes To Cakes, What Takes The Cake?
Birthday parties, weddings, bridal showers, baby showers, or any celebration for that matter, are incomplete without a cake. Today, thanks to advanced equipment and ravishing culinary discoveries, our familiar dessert has acquired a range of exotic flavors, forms, varieties, and textures, taking us to heights of gastronomic delight. Often we find ourselves in a dilemma to choose among equally delicious choices – a decadent dark chocolate truffle or tasty butterscotch? A zesty lemon cake or a delightful brownie? And in most cases, we only end up buying a piece of everything.
Listed here are the five best bakeries in Delhi that are worth binging.
- Defence Bakery – A quaint little cake shop in Defence Colony Market, the bakery boasts some of the finest bakery products in the city. Their Choco chips and blueberry muffins deserve a special mention, and the teacakes are heavenly. If you want to taste the best freshly baked cakes in the city, Defence Bakery is worth making a pit stop.
- Elma’s Bakery & Kitchen – Elma’s is the place for a classic English breakfast. From eggs and pancakes to croissants and red velvets, Elma’s serves the finest freshly-baked goods in the city. With outlets in Lodhi Colony and Hauz Khas Village, Elma’s is just the café to make memories over cakes and coffee.
- L’Opera – If you are looking for cake shops in Saket, the search ends with L’Opera. Located in Select City Walk, one of the largest malls in the city, L’Opera has some of the tastiest macarons and tarts. Their savories are equally delectable, and melt-in-mouth pastries are transcendental. The bakery has outlets across Delhi and is one of the best bakeries in the city.
- Maxims – One of the oldest cake shops in the city, Maxims located in Kailash Colony is famous for its mix of traditional and new baked goods. Their moist pastries, creamy cupcakes, truffles, and bread are delicious and make you crave more. Head to Maxims for fresh footlongs and fuzzy feelings.
- Wenger’s – Set up by a Swiss couple during the British Raj, Wenger’s is a public favorite. Popular for their rum cakes, blueberry waffles, pastry, and eggless varieties, Wenger’s offers some of the tastiest cakes in Delhi. Located in Connaught Place, Wenger’s is a must-visit.
With numerous cake shops and cozy cafes, Delhi is a culinary paradise. Try these bakeries to experience the best desserts and savories in the city.