Prebuilt gaming PCs are sleek, powerful, and packed with high-end components. But are they actually a good option for gamers compared to custom-built systems?
In this guide you will find some helpful information about gaming computers and which options are worth pursuing if you are in the market for a new one. Whether you are in need of a professional-grade machine or simply want a nice-looking gaming computer at an affordable price, this guide will help you find what you are looking for.
The Difference Between Prebuilt PCs and Custom-Built Options
Gaming PCs usually stand out for their unique high-tech aesthetics and often pricey components, which are necessary in order to play most popular video games these days. If you prefer to play games on PC rather than on a console such as Playstation 5 or the Nintendo Switch, there’s two main options available to you.
The first option is to go the prebuilt route. These computers have already been pre-configured, much like any other desktop PC you would find in a big box electronics store. The only difference being that they often sport fancier cases and better components, including a dedicated graphics card rather than an integrated chip.
On the other hand, many gamers prefer to go the custom route. This entails buying up individual components or a build kit and making your computer from scratch, or getting it custom-made piecemeal on a website. While this method involves far more work and research, it’s often considered to be more cost-effective and will usually result in a better-quality PC in the long run.
Is this always the case, however?
Like most consumer electronics, especially higher-end ones, it typically comes down to the brand or individual company that you are sourcing the products from. When it comes to high-end gaming PCs, there certainly are prebuilt desktops that are overpriced and that aren’t exactly designed to offer the best experience. Likewise, with a little bit of knowledge on the subject and some patience, it’s fairly easy to craft your own gaming computer from scratch using the specific components you want.
What if you have no interest in learning how to build a computer or figuring out which components do what, and you simply want a reliable prebuilt gaming PC that is affordable and that will last you a long time? If you fall into this category, it’s important not to settle on the first PC that catches your eye. There is a huge range in quality with different prebuilt PCs on the market, and in order to cut costs, you will often find ones that lack the right components for long-term performance and dependability.
For instance, many preconfigured PCs lack the necessary cooling to keep the components running at optimal efficiency. Another common issue is the motherboards used in these kinds of computers, which are typically the absolute cheapest that can support the featured components. This can cause issues down the road, especially when it comes to upgrading your PC.
In general, the best move for determining where you should get your computer is to simply shop with a company that knows the gaming industry and that is recognized as being a leader when it comes to putting together top-tier gaming PCs.
How to Choose The Right Kind of Gaming PC
Let’s go over a few additional tips that will help you find the right prebuilt gaming rig for your needs.
One of the most important things to consider when buying or building a gaming computer is knowing just what kind of gamer you are and what kinds of games you prefer to play.
For instance, if Fortnite is your game of choice, you would want to find a Fortnite gaming PC that has a higher-end CPU and GPU combo rather than prioritizing one over the other. If you are only into retro games however yet love to stream, maybe you could get by with a computer that features a top-quality CPU but with a mid-range graphics card instead.
It’s important to note that just because you are looking for certain components based on what games you play, that doesn’t automatically mean that prebuilt PCs are the inferior option. It really comes down to where you are shopping for your computer, as you are much more likely to find a pre-configured gaming rig that meets your needs if you are getting yours from a reliable company that really understands the gaming world.
Here are the key areas that you want to focus on when looking for high-quality prebuilt gaming PCs no matter what kinds of games you’re into:
● The cooling elements. This is a big one, because if you see a premade gaming desktop in a store and it only has a single exhaust fan in the back like a common office PC, run for the hills. This is not the PC for you. Ideally, even an affordable gaming computer should offer great air circulation with multiple fans and in some cases a liquid cooling unit as well.
● A decent quality motherboard. While this isn’t the flashiest parts of a computer, it’s still incredibly important. Look up some reviews on the motherboard featured in your gaming rig before deciding to buy.
● A high-performance CPU isn’t a must, but the more cores and threads, the better. These days, great CPUs aren’t nearly as pricey as they used to be. Take the time to find a prebuilt gaming PC that has enough processing power to where you won’t ever have to worry about having too many tabs open or if your PC can “handle” anything you’re working on.
● Finally, when it comes to the GPU, you don’t want to skimp. At the same time, you don’t necessarily need the best on the market to play most games on moderate settings. A well-priced pre-configured PC should still offer plenty of punch in the graphics area so that you will not only be able to play the games you love, you will also be able to handle games that are yet to be released without noticing any drop in performance.
While other areas are important, such as storage and memory, these can (and should) be upgraded throughout the life of your gaming PC in order to get the most out of it.
The Best Prebuilt Gaming PC of 2021
If you’re looking for the perfect combination of power and affordability for your next gaming computer, CLX no doubt has what you are looking for.
CLX has distinguished itself from other PC brands as the go to place to find luxury gaming PCs that are priced fairly and that are actually designed from a gamer’s perspective. In other words, they are optimized and built from the ground up to deliver a superior level of performance. These are computers built by gamers, for gamers.
One of their most popular options, the CLX Set, is our pick for the best prebuilt gaming PC of the year. This versatile pre-configured PC comes in at a sweet price point yet is full of industry-leading components that will outperform other PCs in its class.
The base configuration for the CLX Set features the following components:
● CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 3 3200G 3.60GHz Quad-Core
● GPU: AMD Radeon® RX Vega 8 Onboard
● Case: SET Talos E1 Micro Tower Black
● Motherboard: ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0
● RAM: 2x 4GB Patriot DDR4-2666
● 500W ATX12V POWER SUPPLY
● Storage: Patriot Burst 240GB 2.5in SATA3 SSD
What’s optimal about getting your computer at CLX is that you have an array of easy customizations to choose from as well, so if you want an effective upgrade in order to maximize your performance within your specific budget, you can easily do so with the help of their online PC builder.
If you are wondering whether or not prebuilt gaming PCs are worth it or not, it ultimately comes down to where you get yours. With CLX, you can easily get that custom, boutique PC feel without even choosing your own components. Definitely check out their online store if you want to get your hands on a powerful PC that suits your needs.